Energy transition
News

LyondellBasell invests in efficiency and CO₂ reduction

The LyondellBasell and Covestro plant on Maasvlakte produces raw materials including insulation materials, paints and adhesives. The company is currently investing approx €150 million in new systems to reduce CO₂ emissions by 140,000 tonnes per year. This amounts to some 20% of the company’s CO₂ emissions. Construction has started and should be completed within eighteen months.

Currently the plant’s wastewater is incinerated. In the new situation some 40% of that wastewater will be purified by bacteria, creating such things as biogas for use as fuel. The other 60% of the wastewater will still be incinerated, but the released steam will be put to good use in the plant. The new systems will not only result in considerable CO₂ reductions, but also in a reduction in the release of salts. These currently end up in the surface water, but this will no longer be the case once the new systems are in operation.

Left Allard Castelein (Port of Rotterdam Authority), right Willemien Terpstra (LyondellBasell)

An important component of the Climate Agreement is that existing industry should use less energy through the realisation of efficiency projects. Allard Castelein, CEO Port of Rotterdam Authority: ‘This project is an important step on the road to the 49% CO₂ reduction by 2030, which was agreed by the Netherlands. Rotterdam’s industrial sector plays a vital role in achieving this objective. The LyondellBasell and Covestro initiative is an inspiring example of how industry can contribute, even in a highly competitive market.’

Animation Circulair Steam Project

Would you like to be informed automatically about the developments in the port?

Subscribe to our newsletter.

Choose your language

The page is not available in chosen language.

Go to the front page