Rotterdam is the entrance to Northwest Europe. From apples to cars, from computers to feedstock for the chemical industry; all of it is transported via the port of Rotterdam. Over water and over land, goods find their way to some 500 million consumers in Europe. It is transported by inland vessels, trucks, trains, pipelines or sea-going vessels. The port of Rotterdam’s annual throughput amounts to some 450 million tonnes. This makes the port of Rotterdam the largest port in Europe.
Facts and Figures
- Port area: 12,500 ha (land and water, of which approx 6,000 ha is business sites). Length of port area: over 40 km.
- Employment: 180,000 jobs.
- Throughput: approx 450 million tonnes of cargo per year.
- Shipping: approximately 30,000 sea-going vessels and 110,000 inland vessels per year.
- Added value: (direct and indirect) over €21 billion; 3.5% of GNP.
A wealth of information. View all 2012, 2013 and 2014 figures in the latest edition of Port Statistics. You can download this publication, view online or order a printed copy via the order form. The Port Statistics brochure of the Port of Rotterdam Authority is also available as a mobile application for iOS and Android. The Port Statistics App can be obtained free of charge from the App Store or the Play Store.