Consent for use of AIS data
Please read these conditions carefully before clicking the ‘I give my consent’ button to give your consent for the use of your AIS data.
By clicking the ‘I give my consent’ button, you are indicating that you give the Port of Rotterdam Authority (PoR) your express consent to use your AIS data in accordance with the conditions and for the purposes as described below and in the associated ‘Privacy Statement, Consent for the use of AIS data’.
If you do not give your consent, do not click the ‘I give my consent’ button. This indicates that you do not agree with these purposes, the conditions and/or the ‘Privacy Statement, Consent for the use of AIS data’.
- This consent relates to the data, including Personal Data/identifying data, that are incorporated in the AIS signal, in particular the vessel name, vessel identification, vessel dimensions, MMSI number, position, time of electronic position determination, course, ETA, departure point, destination, speed over ground, sailing status, PI reference point on vessel, loading capacity, blue cones and draught (‘AIS Data’).
- PoR uses the AIS Data for:
A) use in and for PoR products and services to promote trade and transport in the logistics chain;
B) internal testing, analysis and model training purposes.
- PoR may provide your AIS Data to third parties, these being the users of the above-mentioned PoR products and services.
- In processing your AIS Data, PoR may use the services of third parties/processors.
- Your AIS Data will NOT be used for enforcement and/or inspection purposes.
- PoR only saves identifying data from the AIS Data for as long as is necessary to achieve the purpose for which they were obtained. Identifying data will be anonymised after 24 months so that these can no longer be traced to an individual, specific vessel or specific company. The Port Authority may continue to save and use anonymised data after these 24 months.
- You can always withdraw your consent at any time by sending an email with your request mentioning ‘Consent for the use of AIS data’.
- More details about the AIS Data processed by PoR, the purposes for which this information is processed, as well as your rights relating to this, are described in the ‘Privacy Statement, Consent for the use of AIS data’, which has been incorporated below.
Privacy Statement, Consent for the use AIS data
Port of Rotterdam Authority, as data controller
The Port of Rotterdam Authority (hereafter referred to as: ‘PoR’) processes your personal data carefully and securely in accordance with the prevailing laws and regulations. PoR processes these data in the course of its business services. The Port Authority aims to make a difference by using digitisation to increase efficiency and reliability in the logistics chain. To this end, various products and services are being developed to make the handling of freight flows even safer and more efficient. During the development and purchase of these products and services, Personal Data may be processed. This Privacy Statement informs you about the processing of Personal Data by PoR in relation to the data that PoR processes in the context of these products and services. A Data Protection Officer has been appointed to ensure that PoR processes your personal data in accordance with laws and regulations. Her contact details are given below.
General privacy queries
For general privacy queries, please contact PoR using the contact details below, mentioning ‘Consent for the use of AIS data’:
Port of Rotterdam Authority
World Port Center (WPC)
3072 AP Rotterdam, the Netherlands
PO Box 6622
3002 AP Rotterdam, the Netherlands
08:00 hours - 17:00 hours
Data, purpose and duration of processing and reason for processing
In giving your consent for the use of your AIS data, the information you provide relates to the following data:
A) Your contact details:
European Vessel Identification Number
The above data are used to register and manage your consent. These data are not shared with third parties. PoR may approach you via the indicated email address with communications relating to your consent. PoR will save these contact details for 8 months following withdrawal of your consent for the use of AIS data.
B) AIS Data:
These AIS Data (if and in as far as you actually transmit these data in your AIS signal) will be used by PoR for PoR products and services to promote trade and transport in the logistics chain. To be more precise, PoR is developing various digital products and services to make the handling of freight flows even safer, more reliable and more efficient. These products and services are for use by end users in the logistics chain, including skippers and other carriers, shipping companies, terminals, ports etc. Your data will contribute to the improved functioning and increased reliability of these systems. PoR also uses these data for internal testing, analysis and model training purposes.
PoR only saves identifying data from the AIS Data for as long as is necessary to achieve the above-mentioned purposes. These data will be anonymised after 24 months so that they can no longer be traced to an individual, specific vessel or specific company. PoR may continue to save and use anonymised data after these 24 months.
Your AIS Data will NOT be used for enforcement and/or inspection purposes.
The legal foundation on which PoR processes your AIS data is your specific consent, which you provided to PoR by agreeing with the ‘Consent for the use of AIS data’ conditions, of which this Privacy Statement, Consent for the use AIS data forms an integral part.
Forwarding to third parties
The AIS Data (including the identifying data incorporated within this) may be provided by PoR to third parties in PoR products and services to promote trade and transport in the logistics chain. These third parties are the users of PoR’s digital products and services. PoR also uses so-called processors, as described below.
In processing Personal Data, PoR uses third parties (so-called ‘processors’ as defined by the General Data Protection Regulation, ‘GDPR’) that process these data on behalf of PoR. This includes suppliers of cloud services and platforms, as well as external employees hired by PoR, which PoR uses to offer PoR’s services and products. PoR has signed processor agreements with these processors in accordance with the GDPR requirements.
Technical and organisational measures
PoR has taken appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect your data from unauthorised use. Your data are saved and processed within the European Economic Area (EEA).
Rights of data subjects
With respect to your Personal Data you have the right to:
- withdraw your consent at any time;
- access your Personal Data or ask PoR to rectify or erase these;
- request that PoR restricts the processing of data relating to you;
- request data portability.
You may request access to your Personal Data from PoR or make another request with respect to your Personal Data. Please contact PoR via the general email address as stated above, or use the online form.
Filing a complaint with the Data Protection Authority
You can file a complaint with the Data Protection Authority about the processing of your Personal Data by PoR. For more information, please visit the Data Protection Authority website.